Many of us plan to celebrate Independence Day with fireworks displays, backyard gatherings, or perhaps fun at the beach. Take into consideration these tips to enjoy a fun-filled and safe holiday weekend.
Backyard Picnic Safety
- Keep foods in a cooler with plenty of ice instead of out in the hot sun.
- Make sure you keep the grill outside and away from the house, deck, and tree branches
- When the grill is hot, make sure to keep children and pets away
- Never allow young children to ignite or play with fireworks.
- Make sure the person lighting the fireworks is wearing eye protection
- Light one firework off at a time and never attempt to relight a dud.
- Make sure to keep a supply of water close by for precautionary measures
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry play away from children and pets.
If you are not comfortable lighting off fireworks yourself, take in a public firework show put on by professionals and make sure to stay at least 500 feet away.
If your or a friend is injured by a firework call a doctor immediately or visit your local emergency room.